Wednesday, August 5, 2009

July 29, 2009: Affirmations

We all talk to ourselves all the time. The little voice in my head tells me what to do, how to think about things, what’s important and what isn’t, even whether or not to eat.

Most of the time, the voice is helpful. Make sure there’s enough gas in the tank. But sometimes the voice isn’t helpful at all. You’ll never be able to do that. You’re fat already – go ahead and eat it. If you’re not perfect, no one will like you.

At these times, it’s important to recognize that the words are just a voice. Maybe your mother said, Eat your meat first, and now you wonder why you always eat the burger before you touch the French fries. We’ve been listening the voice for so long, sometimes we forget that it isn’t always right.

What can you do if you think you may be responding to unwise voices from the past? The first step is to recognize that some of your beliefs may actually be grooved-in repetitions of early unhelpful words.

Even if you can’t identify where an old thought pattern comes from, you can change your thinking. One way to do this is by actively grooving in a new, positive thought. Here are a few you might want to try.

I am not a victim.

I don’t need to be perfect.

I have the right to make my own choices.

I can disagree with someone’s views and still respect them.

I like myself just the way I am.

My time is valuable.

I can accomplish what I want if I work hard and keep trying.

If you have a specific unhelpful thought that doesn’t fit any of the above statements, you can create your own affirmation. Take the negative and turn it on its head.

I hate myself becomes I love myself.

I can never make up my mind becomes I make great decisions.

We may not be able to eliminate all the old voices, but we can hit the mute button. Take control of the little voice in your head, and you’ll be taking a big step forward into a healthy, happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment